Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Introduction

     My name is Alekzanter Kurn.
     My given name honours a great leader of men from a long-forgotten age of ancient Terra, a king during a barbaric era prior to Mankind's leap into the stars. I'm given to understand my surname originates from the saga of a warrior who was forever cursed to wade in the blood-soaked tide of conflict, a warrior who could not die in a time of endless war. Perhaps it is poetic fate I am a Commissar?

     In truth my name is Troy, and I am a long-time fan of Warhammer 40K. My first foray into the grim darkness that is the 41st Millennium began with my purchase of GorkaMorka in 1996. I was, then, no stranger to Warhammer 40K. A friend had once shown me a copy of a book entitled Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, I had passed on the Talsiman: Timescape expansion that was released in 1988 (at that time I was rabidly interested only in the high fantasy of swords and sorcery), and there were some Warhammer 40K articles in White Dwarf during that time, though I skipped by them with little thought (I was far more interested in the Talisman cards). At that time I gathered with a group of high school friends to play Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (what is now known as 1st Edition AD&D) and Talisman (the 1st-printing Edition with the original pen-and-ink artwork from 1983, which I purchased for $15 and still own to this day). But I digress...

     GorkaMorka. To be honest, I was just looking for some models to assemble as a means of letting off work-related steam. I built model cars and planes in my youth and enjoyed it immensely, so I thought I'd return to that hobby. The local game store (The Gamer) had one model, a drag racer, and I wasn't interested. But, there were a half dozen people sitting around tables unboxing this game with model buggies (trukks) and little men (Orks) and colorful rules books and oodles of counters and gizmos (Turn Gubbinz)...I dipped in for sixty bucks and didn't look back. Actually, there was nothing grim or dark about it. It was wildly fun (each game filled with Orkish hilarity), and I liked it so much I bought a second box. And Digganob. And about 100 pounds of Rebel Grots and Snots (no joke).
     But it would be another year before I would plunge into the (true) grim darkness of the far future.

     The owner of that same game store was a long-time friend, and he loaned to me a small Black Library publication titled Inferno! #2. He said there was a short story within he thought I might really enjoy. Well, he was correct. I quite liked it. The short story is titled Into the Maelstrom, by Chris Pramas, and if you ever get a chance to read it I highly recommend you do so.
     Upon finishing that short story I thought to myself "There aren't enough good guys." I quickly began to collect Space Marines (more than one person would ever need) in an attempt to even the score. There is one twist at this point: rather than being drawn in by the influence of the story and fielding White Scars, I chose the XIII Legion. Ultramarines.

     I have since dabbled in Tyranids and Eldar, but never to the point of being able to field a legitimate army. The Ultramarines as a table-top army were and still are my preferred choice; through all the derision and scoffing, I have remained loyal to them. I began collecting at the tail end of 2nd Edition Warhammer 40K, so I have quite a few "classic" miniatures (such as MkI "Thunder" Armour). I also have a soft spot for the older Space Marine vehicles; to me they represent the core concept of STC, and I have salvaged, assembled, converted and painted fifteen, all based on the original hull design. Perhaps one day I will upload a few photos.

     Jump forward to January, 2008. I cannot adequately convey my excitement at hearing the news of Black Industry's release of Dark Heresy. I was a bit behind the curve (several months, it seemed) and by the time I was up to speed they had completely sold out! But we needn't go into any more detail, as we all know how far Warhammer 40K RP has come since then.

     I played in a short-lived game, then took over as a full-time Dark Heresy GM in April of 2008. Since then, I've run several lengthy campaigns. I also made quite a mess at running Rogue Trader (sorry guys), and Deathwatch has offered a fun (if infrequent) break from the usual fare of bringing heretics to justice. I also initiated a foray into Black Crusade, though I hadn't quite caught the concept of Compacts (the core concept that keeps heretics from tearing each other to little pieces and gives them something to work toward accomplishing) and those characters are currently in limbo. Now we have Only War, and I feel like a five year old loose in a candy shop; too many choices.

     I've never been satisfied with the status quo, so it comes as no surprise to me (and some of my friends) that I would tweak the rules, and thus we come to the reason I have started this blog.
     I frequent the FFG Warhammer 40K RP forums and contribute ideas, input, and advice on interpreting rules, and I usually try to stay within the boundaries of whatever game line is relevant. However, the "tweaker" inside scratches at the walls and begs for release, and that is the purpose of this blog: to let the tweaker roam free.

     I have much to share, and I intend to get the first of many ideas posted within the next few days. Sometimes I will post as my (true) self, sharing House Rules, plot seeds, etcetera, at other times as the writings of Commissar Kurn. Whether you, the readers, choose to take anything away from this blog for use in your own games is entirely your decision. I just need a place (one place) to fence in the tweaker.

     The Emperor Protects

"This website is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited or Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc." 

No comments:

Post a Comment